Pages

Saturday 6 August 2011

Beauty Tips from Picasso

Art is the elimination of the unnecessary,” said Pablo Picasso, and I wonder about symmetry being unnecessary to him. Picasso is one of those artists who has made a wild and important impact on the world of art, and yet, I will quickly admit that I don’t always understand what is so great about painting a woman and putting both her eyes on the same side of her face, her lips down on her chin and her right cheek up on her forehead. What is he trying to say, I wonder?

My little son is an artist through and through. By three years old, he was creating things at his art table in 3D, and I knew that paper and crayons would only be his medium for a short time. I had a feeling he would be on to bigger and bolder art very soon. I had no idea that he would skip right over woodworking, or just cut and paste, and move directly to metal work. That is what he did. He is a welder, and finished his first major welding project – a metal workbench with adjustable legs so it can grow taller as he does – before he lost his first tooth. His dad and he work out in their garage with all sorts of safety equipment, but also with sparks flying almost as fast and furious as their vivid imaginations.

No comments:

Post a Comment