Pages

Saturday 30 July 2011

Why People Keep Asking If My Curly Hair Is Fake

Having to deal with dryness, frizz, tangles, and that dreaded pouf can be a pain. However, when properly taken care of, your curly hair can be the envy of any woman you encounter. Trust me, I know. Whenever I go out, women ask me where I bought my hair from! They just don't believe that I can get my own natural curls to look so good.

Finding a way to perfect my curls has been a long process. I can truthfully say that I am no longer frustrated with my hair. As a matter of fact, it's been months since I've touched my straightener. For me, that's a really big deal! Now, I much prefer having my hair curly over having it straight because of all the compliments I get. It takes me less than five minutes to do my hair in the morning! That's much better than two hours of straightening.

What's my secret?

First of all, I only wash once or twice a week. Washing on a regular basis is damaging for your hair because of the exposure to harsh sulfates. When buying a shampoo, opt for one that is sulfate-free. This means your shampoo will be less soapy and probably won't lather as much, but it will be safer for your hair. When washing, focus on your roots and massage gently to minimize abrasion on the scalp. Condition afterwards, focusing on your hair rather than your scalp. Leave a bit on the ends, and don't wash it all out. I like to condition twice because it closes the cuticles and makes my hair nice and shiny. While the conditioner is in your hair, detangle with a wide-tooth comb. Your hair is most vulnerable when wet, so be gentle! Use your fingers if you can. When you're finished washing, never rub a towel on your hair to get it dry. Simply, tap the excess water out.

I never blow dry my hair. That's right! My blow dryer is collecting dust in a cupboard. Let your hair air dry- the less heat, the better. When your hair is almost dry, apply a leave-in conditioner or curling cream. Gels tend to dry out your hair because of the alcohol content, so opt for a creamier texture. My favorite products are: Mixed Chicks Leave-In Conditioner, Taliah Waajid Curly Curl Cream, and the Curl Balm by KMS. Apply wet for the best results.

Once a week, a deep condition is necessary. There are many to choose from, from homemade treatments to hot oil treatments. No matter which one you choose, leave it in for a little bit longer than the specified time. I usually leave mine in for about half an hour before washing it out.

Get a silk scarf and wrap it around your pillow at night. A silk pillowcase will work just as well. When you wake up in the morning, your hair will be easier to manage, and it will take less time to get ready in the morning.

Getting your hair trimmed every 4-6 weeks is a must! Split ends look horrible and make your hair look dry and damaged. Get used to being annoyed with split ends.

Last, but not least, break up with your straightener. It's been a good run, but now it's time to part ways. Sure your hair may look great when it's straight, but the heat damage really shows when it's curly. There are consequences to putting 400 degrees of heat on your strands!


No comments:

Post a Comment